You Can Help: Report Animal Welfare Concerns

No animal deserves to be mistreated. If you have firsthand knowledge of an animal welfare concern, there are a number of steps that can be taken.

Contact Your Local Animal Control

Many animal facilities have permits from their local animal control agency.  These agencies may have some jurisdiction in some cases.  

Contact USDA

USDA is responsible for executing the protections provided under the Animal Welfare Act.  You can find a link to their “Animal Welfare Complaint” form here.

Contact USFWS

As of December 20, 2022, the Big Cat Public Safety Act (BCPSA) was enacted to end the private ownership of big cats as pets and prohibit exhibitors from allowing public contact with big cats, including cubs. If you see the public having direct contact with a big cat, or a big cat that is being housed by a private individual, contact the US Fish and Wildlife Service at   You can learn more about the BCPSA by visiting the USFWS website.

Other Ways to Help Big Cats

  • Skip the show. Do not attend a circus, traveling show, or fair featuring big cats or other wild animals. 
  • Write a letter to the editor of your local paper, describing why people should not attend these shows.
  • Use social media to share what you’ve learned.
  • Support the Big Cat Sanctuary Alliance! Click here to make a donation.